Friday, May 13, 2011

Natural Hair is a Personal Decision


Today my sister, who hasn't had a relaxer for probably 5 months or more, not sure,said she  is going to get a relaxer soon. I'm not sure why she hasn't relaxed sooner. She said she wanted to have 2 relaxers a year. Now today my mom, who has a TWA, said my sister needed a relaxer or needed to do something to her hair because it was starting to look rough.

This was my first surprise to hear my mother say this. But I think that is more because my sister doesn't take great care of herself. So back to the story. She told me she was getting the relaxer today. I convinced her to let me do her hair in a curly style before she does this. She said she understands how harmful relaxers are but doesn't care because her edges look bad. So I said I would even straighten.

Now I was watching some youtube videos and then I realized I can't make her want to be natural. It's a personal decision. She flat out said she doesn't like her curls or the way I wear my hair. I saw my strength today because her statement didn't even make me mad. It actually made me say hmmm. Well whatever. See my hair isn't going to be loved by everyone. Just like what I wear each day won't be loved by everyone or even what I say won't be loved by everyone. But the one who loves it is me. It was my choice to embrace my natural hair and I can't see myself going back. The thought of the relaxer is making me shaky.

So I guess tomorrow I will tell her I can't make this decision for her , she has to and if she does want to get a relaxer, well that's fine. But if she wants me to straighten her hair I will. One thing I know is that natural hair is not a thing your friends should decide for you it's for you to decide. Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment